Thursday 13 September 2012

ksubi: start of a new era

bye ksubi


I hope my title isn't scaring you; no ksubi isn't closing its doors. But George Gorrow, one of the duo behind the brand, is leaving the brand after 12 years. Now, I can wax on about how Ksubi and it's contemporary brands, such as Sass and Bide have really paved the way for Australian fashion. It brought "Bondi cool" to the world stage etc etc but you can get that from any newspaper article. 

I still remember back in High School where ksubi really was the 'it' brand for denim, and this was back when it was still called tsubi. My mum had bought me a pair of light wash Tsubi skinny-leg jeans with the iconic logo on the back of the leg; I was so in love with these jeans that I, rather ironically, rarely ever wore them and for $300 a pop I shouldn't have ever taken them off. Over the years I've moved onto pretty much exclusively One Teaspoon shorts and J Brand/Current Elliot jeans. But I've still kept my first pair of Tsubi jeans- I'm sentimental like that. 

Truthfully, I'm not a huge fan of the Ksubi denim cutting but I absolutely adore their tees. I recently bought the "BADDIES" tee in black and the grey Chanel tee at the Bondi Beach store and the only thing on my mind is how I can get my hands on the army print tee. It's a sickness really, because I don't think I actually wear t-shirts that often and even then, mainly just my Bassike staples. 

Either way, it'll be interesting to see what direction of the company will go now that Gorrow has left. 

Do you have any interesting Ksubi stories to share?

x k

No comments:

Post a Comment